Bariatric surgery has seen a significant surge in popularity over the years, offering hope to individuals seeking long-term weight loss and improved overall health. With this increased demand, unfortunately, comes the potential for malpractice. While most bariatric surgeons provide exceptional care, there are instances where negligence or misconduct can lead to devastating consequences for patients.
At Giroux Pappas Trial Attorneys, we firmly believe that those who have suffered due to the negligence of medical professionals deserve justice. If you or a loved one have been injured or become ill due to surgical errors, postoperative complications, misdiagnosis, or inadequate pre or postoperative care, our attorneys will help you hold the responsible parties accountable.
What is Bariatric Surgery?
Bariatric surgery, also known as medical weight loss surgery, is a medical procedure designed to help individuals achieve significant and long-term weight loss. The surgery involves various surgical techniques that modify the stomach and/or the digestive system to restrict food intake, reduce absorption of nutrients, or both.
There are different types of bariatric surgery procedures, including gastric bypass, gastric sleeve, adjustable gastric banding, and biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch. These procedures can be performed in open surgery or through minimally invasive techniques such as laparoscopy.
While bariatric surgery is effective for many individuals, it is not without risks or potential complications. It is crucial for patients considering or undergoing bariatric surgery to have access to proper medical care and informed consent. If those pieces are absent, the consequences can be devastating.
Understanding Bariatric Surgery Malpractice
When medical professionals fail to meet the expected standard of care during the bariatric surgical process, harm, injury, or complications for the patient can result. Examples of bariatric surgery malpractice include:
- Surgical Errors: Mistakes made during the procedure, such as perforating organs, causing excessive bleeding, or even leaving surgical instruments inside the patient.
- Inadequate Preoperative Evaluation: Proper evaluation of a patient’s medical history, including any underlying health conditions, is crucial before recommending bariatric surgery. Failure to assess these factors can lead to complications or adverse outcomes.
- Improper Surgical Technique: The chosen surgical technique must be appropriate for the patient’s condition and anatomy. Errors in technique or implementation can result in severe complications.
- Postoperative Complications: Adequate postoperative care is vital to ensure the patient’s well-being after bariatric surgery. Failure to provide proper care, monitor for complications, or address postoperative issues can lead to additional harm.
The Devastating Consequences of Bariatric Surgery Medical Negligence
The potential injuries and complications that can result from bariatric surgery malpractice are diverse and can have a significant impact on the patient’s physical, emotional, and financial well-being. Some of these injuries may include:
- Infection: Poor surgical technique or improper postoperative care can result in infections at the surgical site or within the body, leading to serious health risks.
- Leaks or Fistulas: Improper surgical technique or inadequate postoperative monitoring can result in leaks or openings in the gastric system, leading to infection, sepsis, or other life-threatening conditions.
- Blood Clots: Failure to properly assess and manage blood clot risks during and after surgery can lead to the formation of dangerous blood clots, potentially causing pulmonary embolism or stroke.
- Nutritional Deficiencies: Bariatric surgery alters the digestive system, potentially affecting nutrient absorption. Inadequate postoperative care and monitoring can lead to long-term nutritional deficiencies and related health problems.
- Organ Damage: Surgical errors or other negligence can result in damage to nearby organs, such as the liver, spleen, or bowel, causing severe complications or requiring additional surgeries.
If you or a loved one are a victim of bariatric surgery malpractice, contact an experienced medical negligence attorney. Giroux Pappas Trial Attorneys will provide you with the necessary legal representation and guidance to hold the responsible parties accountable for their negligence and seek rightful compensation for your injuries and suffering.
Do You Need an Attorney for Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice is one of the most complex areas of personal injury law. If you want to recover damages and achieve justice, representation by an experienced medical malpractice attorney is critical.
Specialized Knowledge and Understanding in Bariatric Surgery Malpractice Cases
Bariatric surgery malpractice representation requires specialized knowledge and understanding of surgical techniques, preoperative evaluation, postoperative care, and potential complications. Our team of experienced attorneys have a deep understanding of the medical procedures and protocols involved, which allows us to identify deviations from the standard of care and establish a compelling case for negligence.
Access to Network of Medical Experts
Additionally, our attorneys have access to an extensive network of medical experts who can provide critical insights and opinions on your case. These experts can help assess the extent of your injuries and provide expert testimony if needed. Having access to these resources strengthens your case and increases the chances of a favorable outcome.
Advocating for the Compensation You Deserve
Pursuing a bariatric surgery malpractice claim requires thorough investigation, diligent case preparation, and strategic negotiation and litigation skills. Your attorney will handle all the legal aspects so that you can focus on your recovery. Our team will ensure that all deadlines are met, proper evidence is gathered, and negotiations are carried out in your best interest. We will handle communication with the opposing parties and advocate for the compensation you deserve.
Leveling the Playing Field With the Insurance Company
Insurance companies and medical institutions defending malpractice claims often employ teams of skilled lawyers who are focused on minimizing their liability. Without legal representation, it can be daunting to stick up to these entities alone. By retaining a bariatric surgery malpractice attorney, you level the playing field. Our attorneys are prepared to provide aggressive advocacy and protect your rights against these powerful opponents.
Contact a Michigan Medical Malpractice Lawyer Today
The attorneys at Giroux Pappas Trial Attorneys are well-versed in the intricacies of both the medical and legal aspects of medical malpractice cases. We have achieved several multi-million-dollar medical malpractice victories for our clients and are prepared to build a strong and persuasive case on your behalf.