Childbirth is supposed to be safe in the United States. And for many babies, it is. But some aren’t so lucky. When childbirth goes wrong, the birth injury attorneys at Giroux Pappas Trial Attorneys, Southfield are here to help.
Infants suffering prolonged health issues due to infant cephalohematoma are an example of this.
A cephalohematoma is a blood clot that forms between the skull and periosteum (membrane that covers the skull) due to ruptured blood vessels. When properly treated, infant cephalohematomas heal without major medical intervention.
When improperly treated, the consequences can be much more serious, especially when they co-occur with other injuries like brain damage.
Did you experience any of the following during birth?
- Prolonged labor
- High-risk pregnancies
- Multiple births (i.e. twins or triplets)
- Infants in distressed birth positions
- Cephalopelvic disproportion (the baby’s head is larger than the mother’s pelvic opening)
- Fetal macrosomia (the baby is larger than anticipated)
Your baby’s cephalohematoma indicates a serious brain injury if:
- The cephalohematoma lasted longer than anticipated
- Your child has motor skills deficiencies
- Your child has developmental delays
- Your child shows signs of anemia
- Your baby’s head has any unusual bulges or bruising
- Your baby shows signs of jaundice
If a doctor’s mistakes resulted in your baby suffering, get in touch with the experienced medical malpractice attorneys at Giroux Pappas Trial Attorneys to see how we can help put your mind at ease and provide a more stable future for your baby and your entire family.