Get Compassionate Legal Support From Experienced Sexual Assault Lawyers
At Giroux Pappas Trial Attorneys, we are dedicated to making the legal aspects of your sexual assault case as hassle-free as possible. Moreover, our team of experienced and knowledgeable sexual abuse lawyers always fight to succeed. No matter the details of your case or who we are up against, you’ll have sexual assault lawyers on your side who will do everything within their power to bring you justice.
What Is Sexual Assault?
In legal terminology, sexual abuse lawyers refer to sexual assault as any form of sexual contact that occurs without the full, capable consent of two persons who are of the age of legal consent. Unfortunately, these types of cases are all too common today.
Examples of Sexual Assault
Examples of sexual assault include, but are not limited to:
- Coercing Someone to Partake in a Sexual Act
- Committing Sexual Acts Without Consent: Persons who can’t consent include, but are not limited to: someone under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol; someone who is mentally incapable, mentally incapacitated, or physically helpless; or someone who is under 16 years of age
- Rape, Including Statutory Rape
- Aggravated Sexual Assault & Sexual Battery
- Inappropriate Touching
- All Incestuous Acts, Regardless of “Consent”
- Any Form of Sexual Contact With a Child
- Indecent Exposure
- Creating or Displaying Child Pornography
- Grooming: Building emotional connection with a child to gain their trust for the purposes of sexual abuse, exploitation, or trafficking
If you’re a victim of sexual assault and do not see your situation listed, call our office today to schedule a free consultation with one of our sexual assault lawyers.
Facts About Sexual Assault
Despite being an unfortunately common occurrence in today’s society, there are many myths about this type of crime.
Here are some facts that will help you better understand the circumstances that often surround sexual assault:
- Statistically, women are more likely to be victims of sexual assault (9 in 10 victims of sexual assault are female).
- Still, anyone can be the victim of sexual assault, including women, men, children, teenagers, and seniors.
- Sexual assaults often happen in places where we feel safe, including:
- Schools From Pre-K to High School
- Daycare Facilities
- Colleges & Universities
- Sports Teams
- The Workplace, Including Temporary Jobs & Internships
- Churches & Places of Religious Worship
- Nursing Homes & Other Healthcare Facilities
- Sadly, most cases of sexual assault are perpetrated by someone the victim knows, such as a friend, babysitter, teacher, or colleague.
Sexual Assault Versus Sexual Harassment
Sexual assault is any form of sexual contact that occurs without the full, capable consent of two persons who are of the age of legal consent. Sexual harassment, on the other hand, includes comments or conduct that is so pervasive or severe it creates a hostile or offensive environment, which adversely affects the victim.
If you’ve been sexually assaulted or harassed, contact Giroux Pappas Trial Attorneys today to schedule a free consultation with one of our sexual abuse lawyers.
Sexual Assault Laws in Michigan
The Criminal Sexual Conduct Act is the Michigan law protecting sexual assault victims. This law recognizes four degrees of criminal sexual conduct. The first and third degrees involve coerced or forced penetration, while the second and fourth degrees involve coerced or forced sexual contact.
No witness is required for an act to be prosecuted. Assaults are recognized by spouses, dating partners, acquaintances, and strangers. Charges become more severe if the victim is under the age of 13 or between 13 and 15, if the assailant has an authority position of the victim, or if the assailant is a member of their family.
Our sexual assault lawyers at Giroux Pappas Trial Attorneys always keep up with latest changes in Michigan’s laws, and are here to guide you every step of the way.
When Should You Consult With a Sexual Abuse Lawyer?
If the sexual assault or abuse you are facing has been intermittent and conflated with friendship, co-workers, or a boss-employee relationship, it can be difficult to know when to seek legal counsel from a sexual assault attorney.
As a basic rule of thumb, it is harassment when certain comments or actions are so pervasive or severe that they create a hostile or offensive environment. Additionally, you should consult with a sexual abuse lawyer if you’ve been fired or demoted, or have experienced emotional distress from sexual assault.
How Our Sexual Assault Attorneys Can Help You
The benefits of working with sexual assault lawyer include:
- Support From a Knowledgeable Team
- Insight Into the Laws Surrounding Sexual Assault in Michigan
- Comprehensive Legal Representation
- Complete Confidentiality From Start to Finish
- Assistance with Recovering Damages & Seeking Compensation
If you are a victim of sexual assault, call Giroux Pappas Trial Attorneys today to schedule your free consultation.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a Sexual Abuse Lawyer Today
Being a victim of sexual assault is something no one ever wants to experience. Not only is the event itself extremely traumatic, but it also doesn’t end there. Sexual assault victims face both the physical and emotional pain of the abuse and the financial and legal burdens that accompany it.
Giroux Pappas Trial Attorneys offer confidential legal support for those who have experienced sexual assault. Our sexual abuse lawyers have experience handling sensitive cases and always fight to succeed.
“Our firm takes great pride in helping the victims of sexual abuse and their families through extremely trying times. Our goal is to uncover the truth, seek justice for the victims and make sure it won’t happen again to someone else in the future,”
Evan Pappas, Attorney at Giroux Pappas Trial Attorneys.