If you were injured by someone else, knowingly or by accident, you deserve an attorney that will fight for you. The personal injury attorneys at Giroux Pappas Trial Attorneys, Southfield are prepared to do exactly that.
Tort law is a subset of law meant to provide relief to those who were injured due to someone else and to ensure that no one else suffers from a similar incident.
As such, the main goals of tort law are:
- Compensation for injured victims
- Legal obligation of the person who committed harm to pay damages
- Deterrence of similar negligence or recklessness in the future
The goal is not to prove criminal liability, but rather to provide financial compensation to the victims for the wrongs they suffered.
There are three main types of torts:
- Intentional torts (e.g. intentionally committing harm against another person)
- Negligent torts (e.g. causing injury to another person due to action or inaction)
- Strict liability torts (e.g. liability for using certain types of products like explosives)
However, there are other areas of tort law, including economic torts, defamation, invasion of privacy, and specific torts such as battery, assault, or trespass.
Compensation, or damages, in tort cases are designed to recompense the victim to help them recover from their injuries, though this can be much broader than simply paying for a doctor’s appointment. As you and your loved ones know, recovery is a much broader process than short-term medical bills.
Common damages in tort law include:
- Medical costs
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Permanent disability
- Pain and suffering
- Personal property damage
No one should have to go through a life of hardship because of another person’s carelessness, greed, or ambivalence.
The attorneys at Giroux Pappas Trial Attorneys know that no sum can make up for the harm that was inflicted upon you. But we also know that you deserve closure and respect in order to move on with your life. Our goal is to hold the responsible party accountable for the harm they caused and make the legal system work for you.