Giroux Trial Attorneys, P.C.

Workman’s Compensation

Helping You Find the Compensation You Need to Make a Full Recovery

If you were injured in the workplace, whether it was your fault or someone else’s, you are entitled to worker’s compensation benefits. Unfortunately, there are some cases where your boss may dispute your claim. That’s where the personal injury attorneys at Giroux Trial Attorneys, Southfield can help.

Workers compensation is a system designed to provide wage replacement, medical benefits, and rehabilitation benefits to workers who suffer an injury on the job.

The premise is simple: employers purchase a worker’s compensation policy through an insurance company. If you are injured on the job, you are entitled to receive benefits under that policy, regardless of who was at fault. In exchange, you agree not to sue your employer as a result of your injury.

In Michigan, the following benefits are available through workman’s compensation:

  • Wage loss benefits
  • Death benefits
  • Specific loss benefits (e.g. compensation for lost function or amputation)
  • Vocational rehabilitation
  • Payment for necessary medical treatment
  • Reimbursement for mileage to and from doctors’ appointments
  • Permanent benefits for permanent injuries

However, there are some cases where an employer will dispute a worker’s compensation claim, and some rare cases where an employer doesn’t have worker’s compensation insurance. In those rare cases, you are able to sue your employer for worker’s compensation benefits and other traditional damages.

Did you suffer any of the following workplace-related injuries?

  • Construction accidents
  • Trucking accidents
  • Work-related car accidents
  • Machinery accidents
  • Injuries related to heavy lifting and muscle strain
  • Slip and fall or trip and fall accidents
  • Struck by or against an object
  • Workplace violence

Whether or not your employer has worker’s compensation coverage, the personal injury attorneys at Giroux Trial Attorneys can help you assess the strengths and weaknesses of your worker’s compensation claim. We have years of experience making the legal system work for you, and we can help ensure you receive the benefits you’re entitled to.

Q: What are my civil rights?

Generally speaking, your civil rights are those enumerated under the US Constitution and legislative acts. Civil rights are typically those considered to be related to an individual’s political and social freedom and equality.  These rights range from your right to free speech to your right to an attorney.

Q: What rights do I have if I’ve been arrested?

The most important rights to consider if you’ve been arrested or picked up by police are the right to an attorney, the right to avoid self-incrimination, and the right not to be unlawfully detained. You can always refuse to answer questions and request an attorney. If you have not been formally placed under arrest, you have the right to leave police custody. If you’ve been placed under arrest, the police have a certain amount of time they can hold you without formally filing charges. Even after you have been formally charged, you have the right to request a non-punitive bail, which can be granted or denied at the judge’s discretion.

Q: What is the statute of limitations for a civil rights claim?

Depending on the claims alleged, civil rights violations have varying statutes of limitations under state law. Federal courts typically apply the laws of the forum state in assessing the applicable statute of limitations. If you believe your rights have been violated, you should speak to a lawyer immediately.

Q: What are common types of civil rights claims?

Technically, a civil rights claim can be any act that in some way has infringed upon an individual’s autonomy.  The most common types of civil rights claims involve abuse by government actors, such as police brutality or misconduct, or agencies, wrongful termination, and employment discrimination.

Q: I believe my rights have been violated by the government or one of its officers. Do I have a claim?

Government actors and officers are protected by governmental and qualified immunity that bars claims. However, if it can be proven that the government or its officer acted with gross indifference or acted in a way that serves as an exception to their governmental immunity, you can pursue a claim.

Q: What is a 1983 complaint?

The most common type of civil rights claim is a federal 1983 claim. 1983 claims are those raised under 42 USC 1983, which governs the actions of governmental agents, like police officers. 1983 claims are often asserted when an individual has been assaulted by a police officer, a government funded institution commits a tort, or an individual suffers an injury or death while incarcerated.

Q: Can I file a civil rights claim on behalf of a family member or friend?

You can only file a civil rights claim on behalf of someone other than yourself if one of the following exceptions applies: wrongful death cases, an incapacitated plaintiff, a minor plaintiff, or a class action case.

Q: What is the difference between a civil and a criminal violation of civil rights?

A criminal civil rights violation involves the use or threat of force. A civil violation of civil rights involves no violence, only discriminatory behavior. Criminal violations carry incarceration penalties, while civil violations carry monetary penalties.

Recent Posts

Contingency Fees: Making it Possible for You to Retain a Personal Injury Attorney

A car accident is one of the most traumatic events a person can experience. It can rattle your sense...

Read More

What Do Personal Injury Law Firms Do?

A car accident is one of the most traumatic events a person can experience. It can rattle your sense...

Read More

Safe Winter Driving: How to Drive Safely in Snow

A car accident is one of the most traumatic events a person can experience. It can rattle your sense...

Read More

Visit Our Blog

Free Consultation

For a free, quick, and confidential case review, submit your information below.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.