Spinal Cord Injury

When One Accident Changes Your Life

Consult With an Experienced Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer

When a devastating accident affects your spinal cord, it can lead to full or partial paralysis, and permanent disability. You deserve to seek compensation for this hardship. Before you file any claim, be sure to consult with a spinal cord injury lawyer.

Serving clients in Michigan, our spinal cord injury lawyers at Giroux Pappas Trial Attorneys provide aggressive and compassionate legal representation, and have handled over 120 trials. Keep reading to learn more about how our legal team can help you, or call today to schedule your free consultation.

Major Causes of Spinal Cord Injuries

Spinal cord injuries can occur in a multitude of ways. In general, there are two subtypes of injury: incomplete and complete. Incomplete spinal cord injury means only part of the spinal cord is severed, whereas complete injury refers to someone with a fully severed spinal cord.

Medical malpractice is one of the most common causes of spinal cord injuries. However, they can also be caused by:

  • Auto Accidents
  • Motorcycle Accidents
  • Falls

Steps to Take After Sustaining a Spinal Injury

After a serious injury, your focus will naturally be on finding and receiving treatment. At the same time though, it’s also important to document the financial implications of your injury. Medical bills, insurance notices, and wage loss are just some of the stressors that you may experience. 

It is for these reasons that you must, in addition to prioritizing your treatment, consult with a spinal injury attorney.

An attorney can help you organize your medical documents, bills, and receipts so that compensation for your injuries can be pursued. If your injury was caused at work, in an accident, from a faulty product, or from negligence, a spinal cord injury lawyer can help you move forward in seeking fair compensation.

When Should You Consult With a Spinal Injury Attorney?

Ideally, you should contact a spinal injury attorney as soon as possible. However, the statute of limitations (how long you have to file a claim) depends on the nature of the injury. 

If your injury was due to medical malpractice or a workers’ compensation-related accident, you have two years from the date of the accident to file a claim. If the injury was related to an auto accident, the statute of limitations is three years.

Types of Damages a Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Could Help You Recover

Nearly any financial hardship related to your spinal cord injury can be claimed in your lawsuit. Primarily, spinal cord injuries can result in loss of wages and a multitude of medical bills related to surgery, prescription medications, therapy, and/or medical equipment. Other damages that an attorney can help you recover include emotional and psychological distress.

What a Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Can Do for You

Our spinal cord injury lawyers at Giroux Pappas Trial Attorneys can help you organize a case against the at-fault party or parties. In some cases, this may mean helping you identify the responsible party to begin with.

Next, we will ensure that your legal paperwork is filed correctly and on time. We will also provide legal representation as your case proceeds. This will involve collecting evidence, finding and interviewing expert witnesses, and preventing inconsistencies.

Along the way, we will also help you understand your rights under Michigan law and ensure that your needs are being met. This is a trying time in your life, for not only you but also for your family. It is our job to guide you through this process and fight to reach a favorable outcome.

Working With Giroux Pappas Trial Attorneys

Our attorneys cannot guarantee any specific outcomes for your case. We can, however, review your case and do our best to provide you with viable legal options.

Take a look at some our past successful spinal cord injury cases:

  1. $530,000 awarded for medical malpractice resulting in spinal surgery.
  2. $275,000 awarded for medical malpractice resulting in spinal injury.
  3. $100,000 awarded for a spinal injury caused by a motorcycle accident.

Schedule a Consultation With a Spinal Cord Injury Lawyer Today

If you or a loved one has recently experienced a spinal cord injury due to medical malpractice, an auto accident, or negligence, contact Giroux Pappas Trial Attorneys. Call (248) 531-8665 or fill out our online form today to request a free consultation with one of our spinal cord injury lawyers.

Q: What are my civil rights?

Generally speaking, your civil rights are those enumerated under the US Constitution and legislative acts. Civil rights are typically those considered to be related to an individual’s political and social freedom and equality.  These rights range from your right to free speech to your right to an attorney.

Q: What rights do I have if I’ve been arrested?

The most important rights to consider if you’ve been arrested or picked up by police are the right to an attorney, the right to avoid self-incrimination, and the right not to be unlawfully detained. You can always refuse to answer questions and request an attorney. If you have not been formally placed under arrest, you have the right to leave police custody. If you’ve been placed under arrest, the police have a certain amount of time they can hold you without formally filing charges. Even after you have been formally charged, you have the right to request a non-punitive bail, which can be granted or denied at the judge’s discretion.

Q: What is the statute of limitations for a civil rights claim?

Depending on the claims alleged, civil rights violations have varying statutes of limitations under state law. Federal courts typically apply the laws of the forum state in assessing the applicable statute of limitations. If you believe your rights have been violated, you should speak to a lawyer immediately.

Q: What are common types of civil rights claims?

Technically, a civil rights claim can be any act that in some way has infringed upon an individual’s autonomy.  The most common types of civil rights claims involve abuse by government actors, such as police brutality or misconduct, or agencies, wrongful termination, and employment discrimination.

Q: I believe my rights have been violated by the government or one of its officers. Do I have a claim?

Government actors and officers are protected by governmental and qualified immunity that bars claims. However, if it can be proven that the government or its officer acted with gross indifference or acted in a way that serves as an exception to their governmental immunity, you can pursue a claim.

Q: What is a 1983 complaint?

The most common type of civil rights claim is a federal 1983 claim. 1983 claims are those raised under 42 USC 1983, which governs the actions of governmental agents, like police officers. 1983 claims are often asserted when an individual has been assaulted by a police officer, a government funded institution commits a tort, or an individual suffers an injury or death while incarcerated.

Q: Can I file a civil rights claim on behalf of a family member or friend?

You can only file a civil rights claim on behalf of someone other than yourself if one of the following exceptions applies: wrongful death cases, an incapacitated plaintiff, a minor plaintiff, or a class action case.

Q: What is the difference between a civil and a criminal violation of civil rights?

A criminal civil rights violation involves the use or threat of force. A civil violation of civil rights involves no violence, only discriminatory behavior. Criminal violations carry incarceration penalties, while civil violations carry monetary penalties.

Recent Posts

Close-up view of a clipboard holding a piece of paper. The paper has the words 'Medical' in bold. On top of the clipboard is a doctor's stethoscope and a wooden gavel.

New Report Reveals the Top U.S. Emergency Room Misdiagnoses

A new study by the AHRQ has reported the top 10 most commonly reported emergency room misdiagnoses in the...

Read More
Michigan Attorney, Personal Injury Attorneys

Personal Injury in Michigan

Personal injury cases encompass much more than you may expect. Learn more in this guide by Giroux Pappas Trial...

Read More

Filing a Coach Sex Abuse Case in Michigan

Sexual abuse and assault of athletes seems to be in the news more often lately. Well publicized locally and...

Read More

Protecting Yourself Against a Semi Truck Accident

How can I protect myself against an accident with a semi truck? Trucking accidents are happening more often in...

Read More

Most Common Causes of Head Injuries

What are the most common causes of closed head injuries? You’re walking outside on a cold Michigan day and...

Read More

Visit Our Blog

Businesswoman using cellphone while working in modern office.

Free Consultation

For a free, quick, and confidential case review, submit your information below.

"*" indicates required fields

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.