Giroux Trial Attorneys, P.C.

Slip and Fall

Helping You Recover When a Fall Takes You by Surprise

All it takes is one minor mistake—an uneven walkway, a loose step, or a wet floor—to cause a slip and fall accident. But that small mistake can have a serious impact on your life. If someone’s carelessness stranded you with a serious injury, medical bills you can’t afford, and worry about what to do next, the personal injury attorneys at Giroux Trial Attorneys can help.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, over 800,000 patients are hospitalized each year due to a fall injury. And according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, slips, trips, and falls were the leading cause of days away from work in 2017.

In order to prove negligence in a slip and fall case, you must prove:

  • That the owner of the premises, or an employee, had a duty of care to you: and
  • That the owner or employee caused the spill, worn spot, or dangerous conditions which resulted in your injury: or
  • That the owner or employee knew about the danger and did nothing to prevent it:
  • Alternately, the owner or employee should have reasonably known about the danger and taken steps to eliminate the risk

It isn’t enough to simply prove that there was a dangerous condition, or that said dangerous condition caused your injury. You have to show that the owner knew, or should have reasonably known, about the danger on their property and failed to take reasonable steps to prevent harm.

Did you suffer any of the following injuries due to a slip and fall accident?

  • Traumatic brain injury
  • Broken bones
  • Spinal cord injury
  • Paralysis
  • Spinal stenosis
  • Slipped or herniated discs
  • Hip fractures
  • Shoulder dislocation or brachial plexus injury

If you suffered any of these injuries due to someone else’s negligence, let the attorneys at Giroux Trial Attorneys stand up for you.

We take pride in treating our clients like our own family, because we know that when you’re going through a difficult time, you need an attorney that will fight for you while also supporting you and your family through the legal process.

Q: What are my civil rights?

Generally speaking, your civil rights are those enumerated under the US Constitution and legislative acts. Civil rights are typically those considered to be related to an individual’s political and social freedom and equality.  These rights range from your right to free speech to your right to an attorney.

Q: What rights do I have if I’ve been arrested?

The most important rights to consider if you’ve been arrested or picked up by police are the right to an attorney, the right to avoid self-incrimination, and the right not to be unlawfully detained. You can always refuse to answer questions and request an attorney. If you have not been formally placed under arrest, you have the right to leave police custody. If you’ve been placed under arrest, the police have a certain amount of time they can hold you without formally filing charges. Even after you have been formally charged, you have the right to request a non-punitive bail, which can be granted or denied at the judge’s discretion.

Q: What is the statute of limitations for a civil rights claim?

Depending on the claims alleged, civil rights violations have varying statutes of limitations under state law. Federal courts typically apply the laws of the forum state in assessing the applicable statute of limitations. If you believe your rights have been violated, you should speak to a lawyer immediately.

Q: What are common types of civil rights claims?

Technically, a civil rights claim can be any act that in some way has infringed upon an individual’s autonomy.  The most common types of civil rights claims involve abuse by government actors, such as police brutality or misconduct, or agencies, wrongful termination, and employment discrimination.

Q: I believe my rights have been violated by the government or one of its officers. Do I have a claim?

Government actors and officers are protected by governmental and qualified immunity that bars claims. However, if it can be proven that the government or its officer acted with gross indifference or acted in a way that serves as an exception to their governmental immunity, you can pursue a claim.

Q: What is a 1983 complaint?

The most common type of civil rights claim is a federal 1983 claim. 1983 claims are those raised under 42 USC 1983, which governs the actions of governmental agents, like police officers. 1983 claims are often asserted when an individual has been assaulted by a police officer, a government funded institution commits a tort, or an individual suffers an injury or death while incarcerated.

Q: Can I file a civil rights claim on behalf of a family member or friend?

You can only file a civil rights claim on behalf of someone other than yourself if one of the following exceptions applies: wrongful death cases, an incapacitated plaintiff, a minor plaintiff, or a class action case.

Q: What is the difference between a civil and a criminal violation of civil rights?

A criminal civil rights violation involves the use or threat of force. A civil violation of civil rights involves no violence, only discriminatory behavior. Criminal violations carry incarceration penalties, while civil violations carry monetary penalties.

Recent Posts

Contingency Fees: Making it Possible for You to Retain a Personal Injury Attorney

A car accident is one of the most traumatic events a person can experience. It can rattle your sense...

Read More

What Do Personal Injury Law Firms Do?

A car accident is one of the most traumatic events a person can experience. It can rattle your sense...

Read More

Safe Winter Driving: How to Drive Safely in Snow

A car accident is one of the most traumatic events a person can experience. It can rattle your sense...

Read More

Visit Our Blog

Free Consultation

For a free, quick, and confidential case review, submit your information below.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.