Every motorcyclist loves the freedom of being on the open road. But what if another driver was negligent and took that freedom away from you? Not only that, but now the insurance companies want to deny your claim. Serving Michigan, the motorcycle accident attorneys at Giroux Trial Attorneys know that these types of accidents can present difficult cases, but we will fight to ensure your voice is heard.[TOC]
Continue reading to learn more about motorcycle accidents and how our team can help you, or contact us today to schedule a free consultation.
From physical fractures to traumatic brain injuries, there are a variety of issues that can occur after a motorcycle accident. Below is a list of the most common motorcycle accident injuries:
The most important practice you can follow on the road is defensive driving. Watch out for motorists, obey all traffic laws, and be extra cautious before you pass a vehicle or switch lanes. Following these basic guidelines can help you avoid some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents, including:
After a motorcycle accident, you may feel disoriented, in pain, and angry. It’s easy to forget to do something that would seem apparent if you were in the right state of mind. To help orient yourself in such a situation, aim to follow these steps:
1. Call law enforcement. If no one else has notified the police, make sure you do it yourself. After any serious accident, law enforcement should be called. When they arrive, fill out an incident report with the officer, and be sure to obtain a copy for yourself as well.
2. Check for witnesses. If someone saw the accident happen, be sure to collect their contact information.
3. Get medical attention for your injuries. This should be done immediately, even if you don’t experience any physical or psychological symptoms. Keep in mind that some symptoms don’t show up until weeks or even months later. Be sure to save all medical documents, including invoices, paperwork from surgeries, physical therapy, prescription medications, etc.
4. Contact a motorcycle accident lawyer. An experienced motorcycle accident attorney will be able to tell you if you have an actionable case.
5. Don’t immediately accept any offers from insurance companies. You may not be compensated fairly if you do. Your motorcycle accident attorney can evaluate your case and let you know exactly how much you may reasonably recover in damages.
There are several types of lawsuits related to motorcycle accidents. To know your deadline, you must know the type of case that you have.
For example, for pain and suffering (negligence or tort claim) or economic damages claims, the deadline is three years. If you’re filing for no-fault benefits (for medical expenses), you have one year after the date of the crash to file your claim.
Missing important deadlines can be detrimental to your case, which is why consulting with a motorcycle accident attorney is so important.
Injured persons may seek compensation for motorcycle repairs, non-economic damages for physical and emotional pain/trauma, and lost wages. Of course, you can also seek damages for medical bills, including those for surgeries, long-term care, physical rehabilitation, prescription medication, and other required medical products and treatments (i.e. no-fault benefits). To learn more about your potential damages, please consult with one of our motorcycle accident attorneys.
An experienced motorcycle accident attorney can help you first determine whether or not you have a case. This is the most important factor to consider before moving forward.
Your attorney can also help you figure out what type of lawsuit you have, if you have one, and what damages you may be able to recover. Then, when you move forward, they can assist you in filing your claim and helping you collect evidence to prove negligence, causation, a threshold injury, and so on. If needed, they will also provide legal representation in court.
Are you looking for an experienced motorcycle accident attorney? Our team at Giroux Trial Attorneys has many years of experience helping clients recover millions in damages after motorcycle accidents. We know the law, and we want to help you get the compensation you deserve.
If you think that you may have a case, please fill out our online form below to request a free case evaluation.
For a free, quick, and confidential case review, submit your information below.